Pages

Tuesday 14 June 2011

a bucket of wisdom?

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.


Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.


Full version of the original Reinhold Niebuhr  (ca. 1942)

When I was young my grandma gave me a necklace. Praying hands on the face and on the reverse the serenity prayer. Words to live by ...but not easy.

A couple of weeks ago my pastor prayed for my colleague and I who were facing a difficult work situation and the thing that really resonated with me was when she prayed for discernment for us. I'm not a naturally intuitive person so I'm really praying for and trying to practise this gift.

 'Hear it on Sunday, live it on Monday'
I heard on Sunday that we need to be able listen to the Spirit's direction. Discernment again.Then my Word live study notes on Acts continued the theme when Philip is called one day to preach to a crowd in Samaria then to an individual Ethiopian.Two really different situations.Courage and wisdom in buckets. That's what I need. A bucket of wisdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...