Pages

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Why I’m fasting facebook…


set your mind on things above twixt downs and sea
I am deeply ashamed to admit I am a facebook games addict.
What’s not to like? I do stuff for friends (often ‘friends’ I don’t actually speak to). then they give me presents. I complete stuff, I get prizes. And I have a lovely well-designed and tidy farm filled with happy animals. The games seem designed perfectly to keep me entertained, which of course they are.
I gave up before, My husband, who often acts as my moral compass, told me I was spending more time in the virtual than the real world, more time feeding virtual people than real ones, more time tidying my virtual house than my real one, more time talking to virtual people than to my children. I was ashamed. And I deleted all my games.
Then the requests began again. I was weak. I thought I could control it, limit it, I can’t.
And I read that a recent study showed that one in three people feel bad after visiting facebook and dissatisfied with their lives. I don’t think I feel bad – I don’t tend to envy others but do I feel good?  Would I intentionally choose to look at and read what others post? Is it a good use of my time?
There’s always a good reason to stay on facebook. Hearing news from friends and family abroad, people who have moved on… It is, I suppose a good servant and a bad master. I have friends who left because they were reading stuff they didn’t want to know about – maybe after Easter I’ll feel that’s right for me too.
I know I need to find some time at Lent for prayer and study so in the spirit of better stewardship of my time, I choose to use that ‘facebook time’ more intentionally. And I’m hoping I won’t miss it. And I’m hoping 40 days is long enough to break my bad habits. And I’m hoping the new habits will stick.
    Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Philippians 4:8
It’s probably obvious that I could really use some advice on what has worked well for you. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! My hubby would love it if I fasted from Facebook, permanently! lol. I use FB to keep in touch with family and friends (some I haven't seen in years!), never really got caught up in the games! I actually block requests from games as they are sent to me. I have found a lot of comfort from the daily devotionals, GuidePost posts, inspirational posts, etc.... And I use it for prayer requests, mine and from others. I most definitely will defriend someone that is posting things that offend me. I do not think FB is really a bad habit when kept in check! I hope you can find a happy medium after Easter and still enjoy some FB time!
    In Him,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Bonnie, that's some really good advice. This break is kind of helping me see what I really need FB for. I'm planning to unfriend some ex work mates and do a lot of blocking! And maybe schedule my usage?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...