Pages

Thursday 14 July 2011

Where I'm from...


I am from reading The Famous Five under the covers with a torch, from Mothers Pride white sliced bread and Clarks t-bar school shoes.

 I am from the leafy suburbs, tree-lined streets, suited dads leaving for London at eight every morning, Saturday sounds of lawnmowers, smells of grass and petrol.

I am from the fragrant, thorny rose bed, the shady Willow tree. From feeding the garden birds and knowing them by name. I am from the long hot summer of ‘77 when the earth cracked and the tarmac melted.

I am from finishing everything on your plate (because there are people starving in Africa) and ‘love a duck‘, from ‘ a firm decision in good faith‘, home made Christmas presents and hand knitted clothes. Helen’s Christmas pudding and Dorothy’s frothy 'snowballs'. I am from Uncle Phil, who’s real name was Ernest, paying his rates in old pennies.

I am from the service men who served their country and lived with the consequences and I am from the women who coped.
From land owners in Bishopsgate and farmers who made their fortune driving Hanson Cabs in Notting Hill.
I am from non conformist pastors, baptised in the Nene and from gamblers, losing that same fortune to bookmakers.
I am from the words of Wesley, my chains fell off my heart was free, and from salvation through grace. From the seven readings and the seven carols, sitting cross legged on the floor in the school hall.

I am from London and Lancashire and Leicestershire, I am from roast beef dinners and sherry trifles. From the Head Chef of the BBC, making cakes for Blue Peter, the entrepreneurs of the eighties, creating a restaurant loved by the local community, the Sweet shop in Bournemouth with the brightly coloured jars and little paper bags.

I am from a tin box in my loft, dim curling photos of stern faced ancestors, from Great Aunt Lillian’s polished pie crust table, from the faded sampler on my wall, hand sewn linen on my dressing table.

You knew me before I was born, All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. My past, my present, my future, where I’m from and where I will be.
 


I read a beautiful poem on DRGT Just Wondering and when I found it was from a template (I didn't even know you could get a poetry template), I decided I would try. Its not perfect, I haven't written anything for thirty years except notes on work stuff and shopping lists. But I did weep over this, so many memories, the sights and smells of childhood, people I haven't thought about in years so it has a certain value to me.

The template is here
Why not have a go?



You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.
Psa1m 139 v 16 New Living Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...